ARAB REPUBLIC OF EGYPT 8 ث. ع / أول
Ministry of Education General Secondary Education Certificate Examination, 2010
[First Stage - First Session]
First Foreign Language: ENGLISH (1)_ Time : 3 Hours
اللغة الاجنبية الاولى(1)الانجليزية)
(الاسئلة فى 4 صفحات) A- Language Functions (8 marks)
1- Respond to each of the following situations: (4 marks)
1. Recommend a cheap hotel for your foreign friend to stay in.
2. A friend says to you: "You look worn out." Tell him/her why.
3. A friend invites you to his/her birthday party. Refuse and say why.
4. Some people in front of you in the theatre are talking loudly. What would you say?
2- Say where each of the following mini-dialogues takes place and who the speakers are: (4 marks)
1. A: Can you suggest a cream for sunburn?
B: This cream should help a Tot.
2. A: Now the dangerous scene. Ready?
B: Yes, sir. Place
A: Stand by. Camera 4. Action.
B- Vocabulary & Structure (14 marks)
3- Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d: (8 marks)
1. Many online shops have user-friendly websites because they are----------.
a) out of site b) easy to operate c) out of reach d) difficult to
2. Are you keen----------cycling at weekends?
a) for b) in c) out d) on
3. The----------of wind and rain causes many car accidents.
a) combustion b) association c) combination d) connection
4. I--------to spend the summer holiday in Alexandria when my sister suddenly fell ill.
a) had been planning b) have been planning
c) had planned d) have planned
5. You can make a----------by convincing people to economize on water.
a) mistake b) difference c) decision d) deal
6. I had instructions that I............to leave the door unlocked when I came home.
a) were b) am c) be d) was
7. ----------is the activity or sport that uses long narrow boats.
a) Canoeing b) Surfing c) Diving d) Driving
8. The former newspaper boy----------to a new neighbourhood.
a) had sent b) was sending c) was sent d) has sent
9. In our English class, the students usually-------to answer the teacher's questions.
a) make moves b) take turns c) make objections d) take chances
10. You----------do your homework today because tomorrow will be a holiday.
a) will not b) cannot c) don't have to d) don't need
11. The----------of that mountain is always covered in snow.
a) summit b) head c) point d) slope
12. They..........- to spend the feast with us every year until we moved.
a) use b) are used c) have used d) used
13. Flour and butter are the main----------of tonight's dish.
a) parts b) ingredients c) factors d) constituents
14. You did a------job on your homework assignment this time. Keep up the good work.
a) worst b) better c) worse d) best
15. Dear passengers, we....... to inform you that Flight 951 will be an hour late.
a) suggest b) refuse c) regret d) announce
16. She looked in the mirror to see..........the new dress was like.
a) what b) who c) whose d) which
4- Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write them correctly: (6 marks)
1. I'm sure there's no secret between you and I.
2. Dakhla oases has a population of 75,000 persons.
3. Hearing that you won the first prize enjoyed my day.
4. You have never tried growing fruit or vegetables, do you?
5. Because Chinese goods are cheap, many people can offer them.
6. This shop is open everyday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. expect for Fridays.
C- Reading (17 marks)
5- Read the following passage, then answer the questions: (5 marks)
Gestures - movements of the hands and arms - are an important type of nonverbal communication. The most common types of gestures are what social scientists call illustrators - movements that accompany speech. Scratching your head when searching for an idea and snapping your fingers when you find an idea are examples of illustrators that complement verbal messages. Research shows that people use illustrators more often when they are emotionally aroused - trying to explain ideas that are difficult to put into words when they are furious, horrified, very agitated, distressed or excited.
A second type of gestures is emblems - deliberate nonverbal behaviours that have a very precise meaning, known to everyone within a cultural group. For example, we all know that a head nod means 'yes,' a head shake means 'no,' a wave means 'hello' or 'goodbye,' and a hand to the ear means T cannot hear you.'
A- Answer the following questions:
1. What are the types of gestures mentioned in the passage?
2. When do people usually use illustrators?
3. How far can you agree that body gestures can replace verbal communication?
B- Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d:
4. 'Illustrators' are gestures that---.
a) are recognized only by a particular group within a culture
b) have no meaning without accompanying speech
c) include shaking head for 'no'
d) are hardly studied by sociologists
5. The word 'agitated' means---—.
a) thrilled b) relaxed c) desperate d) nervous
6- Read the following passage, then answer the questions: (5 marks)
Violent crime has increased as a result of greater accessibility to weapons, combined with the fact that large numbers of young people are unemployed, with very few prospects of finding a job. In my opinion, there are several solutions to this.
An effective solution is for the government to have greater control over guns and other dangerous weapons. Therefore, new laws should be passed to restrict citizens from owning firearms. Another suggestion is to help young people find work. The problem of unemployment could be solved if the government created jobs and work programmes for young people. An important part of deterring young people from violent crime is better education. If taught that violence is not the answer to their problems, they would be less likely to turn to crime.
A- Answer the following questions:’
1. Why is violent crime on the increase?
2. What is the role of the government in solving this problem?
3. What does the underlined word refer to?
B. Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d:
4. According to the passage, violent crime is the consequence of---------------.
a) lack of education c) availability of jobs
b) violent media programmes
d) governmental anti-violence policy
5. The word 'prospects' means------.
a) principles b) aspects c) hopes d) positions
The Spiders (7 marks)
7- A- Answer the following questions: (3 marks)
1. The robbers were not only cunning but they also used the latest technology to achieve their evil deeds. Illustrate.
2. What dangers did Wafaa Sultan face to get the Echinacea Negra plant?
B- Read the following quotation, then answer the questions: (2 marks)
"I understand your scientific interest, but ten people have died already."
1. Who said this? To whom?
2. Why was it said?
C- Complete the following sentences: (2 marks)
1. Without Ayman's intelligence and bravery,-------------------.
2. The female deadly spider sacrificed one of its legs when---------.
D- Writing (11 marks)
8- Write a paragraph of about 100 words on: (6 marks)
A person you look up to as a role model or an example to be followed.
E- Translation (5 marks)
9)- A- Translate into Arabic: (3 marks)
Illegal immigration has recently become a big issue in Egypt. Hundreds of Egyptians have tried to escape their difficult economic conditions by finding passage to Europe. Yet, their dreams sank in the sea.
B- Translate into English: (2 marks)
1- تسببت سحابة الرماد البركانى فى تعطيل النقل الجوى واحداث خسائر اقتصادية فادحة
2- يؤكد خبراء البيئة ان النسور مهددة بالانقراض بسبب الصيد الجائر
-1- Respond to each of the following situations:
1- I recommend this hotel because it is cheaper than the others.
2- I have been working very hard.
3- I wish I could come, but I am too busy.
4- Could you speak a little lower, please
1- At the chemist's-pharmacy A- a customer B- A chemist
2- A film studio A- The director B- an actor
1-d easy to operate
2- d on
3- c combination
4- a had been planning
5- b difference
6- d was
7- a canoeing
8- c was sent
9- b take turns
10- c don’t have to
11- a summit
12- d used
13- b ingredient
14- b better
15- c regret
16- a what
1-me 2- oasis 3-made my day 4-have you ? 5-afford 6-except
5-The first comprehension
1- The types of gestures are: illustrators and emblems
2- People usually use illustrators when they are emotionally aroused
3- I totally agree that body gestures can replace verbal communication because people who are dumb(not able to speak) can communicate well with other people and live a normal life
6-The second comprehension
1- Violent crime is on the increase because of the greater accessibility to weapons* combined with the fact the large numbers of young people are unemployed* with very few prospects of finding a job
2- The government should pass new laws to restrict citizens from owning firearms. The government should also help young people to find jobs
3- The underlined word "this" refers to violent crime
A)1-They were cunning as they took their precautions so as not to be discovered by the police or the archaeologists : they used local number plates as well as switching off the cars' lights and engines.
They used the latest technology when they used the GPR to discover undiscovered/ hidden rooms unlike the archaeologists
2- She struggled on her way back with the team as the weather was bad: there were a bad storm and heavy rain that filled the three wadis with water so they had difficulty in crossing the third wadi. In addition, she brought the plants back alone fighting her fear by saying that she had a young man's life in her hands
B) 1- Captain Ahmed to Prof.Jones
2- It was said because Captain Ahmed wanted to destroy the site to get rid of the spiders which caused death to ten people already but this was against Prof.Jones’wish as he considered the spiders a new scientific discovery.
C) 1-……… thousands of people might have died
2-…….. it wanted to free itself
A person you look up to as a role model or an example to be followed.
True role models are those who possess the qualities that we would like to have and those who have affected us in a way that makes us want to be better people. To advocate for ourselves and our goals and take leadership on the issues that we believe in. Among the teachers who have taught me through my school life, Miss Fatma is the one that I most admire. She was the English teacher of mine while I was in my primary school. In contrast to some teacher's apathy, her vitality always refreshed the atmosphere in our classroom. Moreover, her enthusiasm and thoughtfulness still warmed my heart to this day.
Miss Fatma won everyone's appreciation soon after she began teaching us. The energy and passion Miss Fatma possessed when teaching was unbelievable. With more and more days she spent with us, I noticed a distinctive quality of hers that truly amazed me. She was always in high spirits when she entered the classroom, as if she was ecstatic to see us. Besides, she encouraged us to interact with her; therefore, the class was by no means serious and tense, but very enjoyable and inspiring.
Miss Fatma used clever techniques to arouse our interest in learning English. Really she was one of the nearest teachers to the hearts of all of us that’s why I look up to her as a role model.
لقد اصبحت الهجرة غير الشرعية قضية كبيرة في مصر في الآونة الأخيرة. وحاول مئات من المصريين الهروب/الفرار من ظروفهم الاقتصادية الصعبة بايجاد طريق إلى أوروبا. ومع ذلك ، غرقت أحلامهم في البحر
تسببت سحابة الرماد البركاني في تعطيل النقل الجوى وسببت خسائر اقتصادية فادحة -1
A cloud of volcanic ash caused disruption of air transport and caused economic losses
الجائر يؤكد خبراء البيئة أن النسور مهددة بالانقراض بسبب الصيد -2
Environmental experts/ Environmentalists say that the eagles are threatened with extinction because of over hunting / unfair hunting/ poaching